Quixotic Fibers is a yarn and fiber store and dye studio on Main Street in Whitesboro, Texas. We are in the heart of Texoma, less than an hour from north Dallas on the way to Oklahoma City.
Our Whitesboro store is a full service Local Yarn Shop carrying a wide range of yarn, spinning fiber, and tools for knitting, crochet, and spinning. We are constantly adding more items to our online store, but we have a lot more in the shop than you can see here on the web site.
Looking for something that we don't have listed here? Please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the store at 903-564-3740. If we have it in stock, or can order it for you, we will be happy to send it to you!
What's with the name?
People often ask about our name. Here's the wiktionary definition:
quixotic /kwɪkˈsɑtɪk/, /kwɪɡˈzɑtɪk/
- Possessing or acting with the desire to do noble and romantic deeds, without thought of realism and practicality; exceedingly idealistic.
- Like Don Quixote; romantic to extravagance; absurdly chivalric; apt to be deluded.
- I will knit impossibly beautiful things.
- Of course I can spin all of this fiber in my lifetime.
- I love all of my teal yarns, but there is an even more perfect teal that is yet-to-be-dyed.
When people visit Quixotic Fibers for the first time, they often comment about the breadth and quality of the selection that we offer. We believe that you should knit/crochet with the highest quality yarn that you can afford, and it is our mission to provide you with the best possible selection of quality fiber in gorgeous colors … in all price ranges.
Quixotic Fibers is owned by Curtis (the Enabler) and Carla, an obsessive knitter, crocheter, spinner, and dyer, and a beginner weaver. Carla and Curtis moved to Lake Texoma in 2014 and every time they went to Whitesboro’s lovely Main Street Carla would say “Someone needs to open a yarn shop next to that awesome Kaleidoscope Quilt Shop.” When Curtis came home one day and announced that the shop next door to Kaleidoscope was available, it was clear that it was meant to be.
Carla loves luxury fibers, of course, but she also spends a great deal of time researching and testing less expensive yarns in order to be able to offer affordable yarns that are beautiful, durable, and delightful to work with and wear. Not all yarns are created equal and you often get what you pay for, but a higher price does not always mean better quality. For example, one of our favorite brands is West Yorkshire Spinners, whose yarns are "reared, sheared, and spun" in Great Britain. The quality of their yarns is truly exceptional, and the prices are surprisingly affordable.
We also stock Cascade Cherub Aran in every color. This is a budget friendly acrylic/nylon blend that is very soft, making it a favorite for baby blankets.
At the other end of the price spectrum is Prism, which offers stunning yarns from color genius Laura Bryant, who has been hand dyeing yarns for over thirty years. The Prism yarns and kits are the most expensive ones in the shop, but they are also without doubt the very best. Carla has been a Prism groupie for nearly 20 years and has had people ask to purchase garments knit from Prism yarns that are over 10 years old. Yes, Prism yarns still look that good after 10 years of wear.
We also offer:
- An unusually large selection of gorgeous hand-dyed yarns from Dream in Color, Chicken Coop Dyeworks, Life in the Long Grass, Urth, and Malabrigo.
- An extensive collection of non-wool natural fiber yarns, including linen, cotton, and bamboo because we are committed to providing yarns that are comfortable to wear in our hot Texas summers.
- Our own collection of hand dyed yarns.
- Ashford Rigid Heddle looms
- Cocoknits Method workshops, as well as the full range of Cocoknits tools.
- Lots of comfortable spaces to sit and knit or crochet and visit with your friends, so plan to stay a while!
Looking for something that we don't have listed here? Please send me an email at email@example.com, or call the store at 903-564-3740.
If we have it in stock, or can order it for you, we will be happy to send it to you!