Spinner's Fiber Sampler Pack #1Quixotic Fibers
Note: the picture does not show all of the fiber samples included in this pack. There are eleven different samples, plus a bonus fiber.
This is the first of our spinner's taster packs designed to give you the opportunity to sample different types of spinning fiber without having to make the commitment to spin an entire 4 oz braid.
20 grams of fiber is just enough to get a good "feel" for the fiber and to spin enough two-ply yarn to work a small swatch.
This first taste pack contains some special samples. The two churro and two Icelandic samples are roving milled from individual fleeces. This allows you to see how different the wool from two sheep of the same breed (from the same farm) can be.
It also contains both light and dark samples of the New Zealand Corriedale in case you would like to experiment with mixing plies of different colors, or even blending them together.
There is also a small 10 gram sample of washed but uncarded Blue Faced Leicester. If you don't have wool cards but live close enough to come into the shop, we do have cards that you can use if you would like to card the sample for spinning.
This Pack contains:
- 20 grams each of:
- New Zealand Merino
- New Zealand Corriedale (Light and Dark)
- Icelandic (Two Fleece Samples)
- Churro (Two Fleece Samples)
- California Red
- Dyed Shetland
- Uncarded BFL (10g)
- A bonus 20 gram sample of commercial undyed North American superwash merino roving so that you can compare it to the New Zealand merino, which is produced in a much smaller mill, and is not superwash.
If you are interested in learning more about the different sheep breeds and types of wool, there are two excellent reference books available:
- The Field Guide to Fleece is a portable paperback with information on 100 different breeds of sheep.
- The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook is a photographic encyclopedia featuring more than 200 animals and the fibers they produce.
You can add either or both of the books to your sampler pack if you would like.