Intensive Cocoknits Sweater Workshop May 19 12:00-5:00Quixotic Fibers
Sunday, May 19 - 12:00 - 5:00PM
This is an intensive, one-day version of the Cocoknits Sweater Workshop. Instead of knitting an adult sweater, in this class we will knit the top part of a baby or doll sized sweater in order to work through the primary techniques explained in the Cocoknits Sweater Workshop book.
The Cocoknits Method involves two particular approaches to knitting top-down seamless sweaters:
- The sweater yoke is based on a type of construction called “English Tailoring,” which provides a tailored sleeve cap with elegant lines without any seams.
- The Cocoknits worksheet, together with stitch markers in 6 different colors, provides a wonderful method for keeping track of where you are in the yoke pattern and where you need to make sleeve and neckline increases. The same system can also be used for raglan style top down sweaters.
In this class we will make the smallest size of the “Emma” version A sweater in the book, which has a 33.5” finished bust when knit to the pattern gauge of 3 stitches per inch but works out to be more of a large baby/doll sized sweater in a worsted weight yarn on #6 needles.
We will cover the following:
- Knitting the back, including how to do lifted left and right leaning increases on both the knit and purl sides to achieve clean lines.
- Picking up stitches and knitting the shoulders
- Joining and picking up stitches to begin knitting the rest of the yoke.
- Setting up the Cocoknits worksheet and then knitting from it to complete the yoke. How to correct for missed increases.
- Separating the sleeves from the body.
- Techniques for achieving a clean underarm seam.
- Cocoknits Sweater Workshop book (we have them for sale for $35).
- Stitch markers in 6 different colors. (The Cocoknits colored ring stitch markers can be purchased for $9)
- Approximately 400 yards of worsted weight yarn. You will want to use a smooth yarn in a color that makes it easy to see the stitches as it is very important that you be able to read your stitches.
- Circular needles in the size appropriate for your yarn. (either one 40" or longer or 3 separate circulars)
- Whatever type of needle you prefer to use for knitting small items in the round (DPNs, 2 circulars, magic loop, etc.)
- Smaller skinny needle in any size (double pointed or circular)
- Yarn snips or scissors
- Tape measure or ruler
- The Sweater Worksheet Journal is optional, and is available for $13.50
- Cocoknits has a large online video library of tutorials that support different aspects of the method, so you may find it handy to bring a tablet or smartphone that can access these for reference.
Skill Level: Intermediate or advanced knitter
Instructor: Carla Billingsley
Carla Billingsley rediscovered knitting shortly after her 40th birthday when she fell in love with handpainted and novelty yarns. At first she only made rectangles and triangles: scarves, throws, and shawls. Eventually she worked up the courage to try lace and socks. After learning to turn her first heel she realized that you can learn anything if you set your mind to it, and that learning is really easy if you can take a class with a good teacher. In 2014 she and her husband Curtis moved to Texas and in June 2015 they opened Quixotic Fibers. From the beginning, her vision for the shop was that it is not just a place to buy yarn and fiber, but that it should become a community resource dedicated to the preservation and development of the fiber arts, a place where knitters, crocheters, weavers, and spinners can gather to learn from and to inspire each other.
Registration and Cancellation Policies
If you prefer to register over the telephone, please call Quixotic Fibers at 903-564-3740.
If the minimum number of students have not signed up 3 days before the class, we will unfortunately have to cancel the class. We usually require a minimum number of students only for classes where the instructor has to travel some distance. If we have to cancel a class, you will be notified 3 days in advance and will be given a full refund.
Cancellation: There is a $2 cancellation fee. At least a 3-day notice is required for cancellation without additional charges. Cancellations with 24-72 hour notice are eligible for a 50% refund. Cancellations with less than 24 hour notice are not refundable.