Arne & Carlos Advent Calendar 2021 - 2 Mini Nordic Jumpers Starter KitArne & Carlos
This year's Advent Calender pattern from Arne & Carlos is for 21 mini knitted Nordic sweaters that make delightful packages for Advent goodies.
All 24 sweaters call for 18 skeins of yarn. (You can find the complete yarn pack here). If you would like to dip your toe in the water before jumping in to the whole set, this yarn pack includes the four colors that are used in the first two sweaters .
- 4 balls of Rowan Selects Norwegian Wool (100% Norwegian Wool, 127 yards/50 grams) the colors shown (Cloud Dancer, Ribbon Red, and Emerald)
- Optional needles. For your convenience, we offer a selection of optional needle packets: Prym Needles in the circular and DPN combination (see below), or two Prym Circular needles (3.0mm and 3.5mm) if you prefer Magic Loop.
- Optional pattern. We encourage you to purchase the pattern directly from Arne & Carlos for $7.00. If you need a printed pattern, we can purchase and print the pattern for you for an additional $25 (the pattern is 29 pages long and includes 24 charts and a color picture of each sweater).
About the needles:
Arne & Carlos follow the European convention of translating 3.00mm needles as US #2, but needles manufactured for the US market usually mark 3.00mm as #2.5. (Prym and addi needles, which are both made in Germany, follow the European convention)
The #2.5 circular is required to start the bottom of the sweater with a closed cast on and a few rows of magic loop. Arne & Carlos then switch to DPNs, which they prefer. The needles listed in the pattern:
- US #2.5 (3.0mm) - 24" circular
- US #2.5 (3.0mm) DPNs
- US #4 (3.5mm) DPNs
If you prefer Magic Loop, you will only need two needles:
- US #2.5 (3.0mm) - 24" circular (or longer if you prefer)
- US #4 (3.5mm) - 24" circular (or longer if you prefer)
Carla usually prefers DPNs for all small pieces except when stranded colorwork is involved. For this project she is using magic loop because it makes it much easier to the keep an even tension with the longer floats.